Sunday, January 2, 2011

WELCOME TO ENGLISH 252: THE BIBLE AS LITERATURE

Joe Ryan here, and it is my privilege to be teaching this online class this Winter 2011semester. So, welcome aboard.

Basically, you just have to follow the posts here.  Just read what they say, and do what is asked of you.  Study, write as you are instructed to, and you will do fine.

Keep in mind that you are going to do a few types of writing: 

1.  Post Comments (Five times this semester).  This will be no more than 200 words on a question I pose at the end of a lecture or similar reading.

2.  Papers:  Two types: 

a.  Shorties of about 500 words on a topic I assign.
b.  Longies of about 1000 words that will ask for some research and a thoughtful approach.

3.  Exams and Quizzes.

These will have both objective and subjective (essay format) parts.  They will be given out with brief notice, so pay attention.  I will try to post dates in my syllabus, yet I reserve the right to do things as I see fit, just because online has its own quirks and peculiar things tend to happen.

Read the material.  There are several types of reading:

a.  The Lectures I post (probably about 15 of them, or three a week or so.
b.  The chapters of the book The Bible as Literature. 
c.  The Bible (of course).  The required Bible for this class is the King James Version.
d.  The Bible Commentaries you have in your Bible Commentary or one you can access online.

No comments:

Post a Comment